Vitamins and minerals
Vitamins and minerals are provided by food and sunlight and a well-balanced diet can provide them. Following the Eatwell guidance is an ideal way to maintain a balanced healthy diet.
Remember your role as an activity leader for children aged 2 – 5 is to guide parents in the right direction for help and support for their children or themselves. You should promote healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle, but you cannot give any direct nutritional advice.
The body needs vitamins to function properly and maintain health, but, despite their vital importance, the body only needs them in minute amounts.
We need 13 vitamins to maintain health – vitamins A, C, D, E, K and the eight B vitamins. Each has specific functions concerning the body:
- Vitamin C helps to keep cells healthy
- Vitamin A is good for eyesight and healthy skin
- Vitamin D helps to regulate calcium and is essential for strong bones and teeth
- Vitamin E is needed to maintain cell structure
- Vitamin K is needed for blood clotting